What are Alpha’s copyright rules?
photocopying, reproducing, reprinting
Written by Joseph Magtoto
Updated over a week ago
- We have always been keen to allow individuals who are running an Alpha International Course the flexibility to adapt it where it was felt necessary to allow for locally felt needs and where there was the desire to retain the essential elements, nature, and identity of the course.
- With the exception of books published by Kingsway or its licensees (in which the author is stated to hold the copyright), all Alpha International publications and materials including booklets, tapes, and graphics are copyright to Alpha International.
- Alpha International publications cover a wide range of ministries including the Alpha Course, The Marriage Course, Caring for Ex-Offenders, Building a Twenty-First Century Church and Dynamic Prayer in The Local Church.
- In no circumstances may any part of any Alpha International publication be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or any information storage or retrieval system without permission in writing from the copyright holder or that holder’s agent.
- Use of Alpha International publications is permitted only when in conjunction with the running or promotion of Alpha International courses.
- Resale or the obtaining of payment in any other connection with any Alpha International publication is not permitted.
- Alpha International asks that the name of any Alpha International course, or names similar to it should not be used in connection with any other Christian course. This request is made in order to: avoid confusion caused by different courses having similar titles ensure the uniformity and integrity of the courses and to maintain confidence in courses listed on the Alpha International register.
- Alpha International accepts that minor adaptations to Alpha International courses may occasionally be desirable. These should only concern the length of the talks or the number of sessions. In each case, the essential character of the course must be retained. If an Alpha International course is adapted the person responsible must:
- only use such a course in their own church or parish,
- not allow such a course to be used elsewhere, and
- not publish or promote such a course.
Alpha International (UK) and Alpha Canada
Alpha Canada has obtained permission in accordance with the Alpha International Brand License to create translations and derivative products only to the extent necessary to utilize the products in the form required for Canada, and as required for the purpose of the propagation and advancement of Alpha and Alpha Canada.
Alpha Canada may not change, amend or develop the products in any way without Alpha International’s prior written consent save for the purpose of producing a translation or derivative product.
In consideration of Alpha International’s undertakings to Alpha Canada in this agreement, Alpha Canada, for the duration of the license Period grants to churches (but only for the purpose) the non-transferable, non-exclusive license to use my Alpha and Alpha Derivative Products.